The Group is aware of the critical role that a business should play in the upliftment and development of the previously disadvantaged majority. We recognise that the COVID-19 pandemic is having a significant impact on our employees, their families and the local communities living around our operations, and we have taken a responsive approach to providing assistance.
The Group is committed to investing in the upliftment of society and in playing a pivotal role in improving the quality of life among the disadvantaged communities through its corporate citizenship initiatives. We continue to subscribe to a sustainable approach in conducting our business.
For AEEI, social sustainability and corporate citizenship goes beyond legislative compliance. It recognises the rights and responsibilities of businesses within a broader societal context and reinforces AEEI’s mission of being a dynamic and innovative Company that creates superior stakeholder value.
AEEI’s strategic focus on being an exemplary custodian assists us to manage our impact on the communities around us and actively contribute to their socio-economic development through various initiatives.
Many of the subsidiaries in the Group support their own initiatives in line with the Group’s policy and their areas of operation. It is for this reason that we need to give back to the communities in which we operate by:
- driving the corporate social investment strategy across the Group by investing in social services in our communities and creating value through social investment;
- supporting local business and promoting social and economic development;
- providing employment opportunities and skills development;
- providing training and development through our internship programme;
- investing in the future of our youth by facilitating access to higher education;
- paying our taxes and royalties to government;
- driving the B-BBEE targets in the Group;
- further driving transformation throughout the Group;
- adhering to ethical standards and preventing corruption;
- ensuring effective risk management and compliance;
- promoting social and economic development;
- promoting partnerships with business peers, sector organisations and research bodies;
- having open channels of communications;
- ensuring that the Group is seen to be a responsible corporate citizen.
Corporate Social Investment (CSI)
The Group invests directly in some of its CSI programmes while others are managed through the Sekunjalo Development Foundation (SDF). The aim is to create a sustained social impact through focused activities. AEEI and the SDF have selected focus areas that have an impact on individual and societal development and play a significant role in nurturing young people who represent the future.
AEEI and the SDF’s approach is to:
- encourage employee participation and volunteering in its CSI programmes;
- prioritise CSI across the Group, focusing on set initiatives that support societal challenges; and
- ensure the integration of community needs.