Premier Fishing and Brands Ltd (Premier or the Premier Group) has been in existence since 1952 and has four operating divisions, two subsidiary companies, and a number of joint venture operations. Premier is a vertically integrated group which specialises in the harvesting, processing, and marketing of fish and fish-related products.
Premier is the only fishing company in the industry to have a black female chief executive officer steering their ship.
Premier and its subsidiaries hold medium- to long-term fishing rights in west coast rock lobster, south coast rock lobster, small pelagics (anchovy and sardine), hake deep-sea trawl, longline, and squid. In addition, Premier owns an abalone farm and invests in organic agriculture through the Seagro range of products.
The Premier Group is the largest black-owned and controlled fishing company in South Africa and aims to:
- implement innovative procedures within the value chain to increase efficiency in line with environmental best practices, thereby reducing their carbon footprint;
- invest in reliable technology which allows Premier to reduce mortalities of live lobster kept for the export market, therefore assisting in obtaining the best market price;
- develop all its employees;
- assist small businesses to grow and achieve their full potential;
- ultimately deliver sustainable returns to all stakeholders.