About the Premier Fishing and Brands Division
Premier Fishing and Brands Limited (Premier) has been in existence since 1952 and has four operating divisions, two subsidiary companies and a number of joint venture operations. Premier is a vertically integrated Group which specialises in the harvesting, processing and marketing of fish and fish-related products.
Premier and its subsidiaries hold medium- to long-term fishing rights in west coast rock lobster, south coast rock lobster, small pelagics (anchovy and sardine), hake deep-sea trawl, longline and squid. In addition, Premier owns an abalone farm and also invests in organic agriculture through its production of the Seagro range of products.
The Premier Group is the largest black-owned and controlled fishing company in South Africa and aims:
- to implement innovative procedures within the value chain to increase efficiency in line with environmental best practices, thereby reducing their carbon footprint;
- to invest in reliable technology which allows the Company to reduce mortalities of live lobster kept for the export market, therefore assisting in obtaining the best market price;
- to develop all its employees;
- to assist small businesses to grow and achieve their full potential; to ultimately deliver sustainable returns to all stakeholders; and
- to deliver high quality products to all its clients.
The Premier Group listed on the main board of the JSE on 2 March 2017 and was able to raise capital of R526m on the listing date through the issue of 117m new shares. The listing only had an effect on their financial performance for six months of the financial year. The capital raising strengthened their balance sheet with additional cash reserves that will be utilised on their main capital projects – abalone farm expansion and the acquisitions.
Detailed information about Premier Fishing and Brand Ltd.’s business model, stakeholders, risks and governance is available on the website at www.premierfishing.co.za